Moving to Taiwan
Specialist international moving company to Taiwan. Families moving to Taiwan, shipments of personal effects, household goods, and commercial products to Taiwan.
International Moving Company to Taiwan
SDC is an International Moving Company to Taiwan that has been relocated clients from the United States to the island of Taiwan. As a leading international business powerhouse, Taiwanese citizens and companies traverse the world and require frequent moving services.
We have experienced partners in Keelung Port that will clear your shipment through customs and deliver it to your new home in Taiwan.
International Household Moving to Taiwan
For most of our client’s the apartments in Taiwan will seem smaller than what they are used to in the United States. As a company specializing in international household moving to Taiwan, SDC International Shipping can help facilitate your move there with the logistics that will make the most sense for a move from the USA to Taiwan.
Though officially only a few countries recognize Taiwan as a nation, everybody knows that it is a real nation, and all countries maintain representative offices there. The country is quite densely populate, with 80% of the country’s population living in cities.
Many of our clients are moving to Taiwan for a few years, and intend to return to the USA after working there for a few years. For these people, it will mean shipping a portion of your household and storing a portion for a few years until you return. We can do both of these with a single pickup from your home.
We recommend a pilot trip to Taiwan before your actual move there. If you already know what house you will move into in Taiwan, ask for measurements. Will your current furniture pieces fit into your new apartment in Taiwan? If so, send them. They will be of superior quality, and much more affordable than what you will find in Taiwan.
We recommend that you bring all of the clothes that you need with you to Taiwan. The weather is mostly warm and humid. You may not find appropriate sizes and quality there. Keep in mind that clothes driers are not common in Taiwan, so make sure that your clothes dry reasonably.
You can bring your pets with you to Taiwan. You are required to obtain prior permission for bringing your dog or cat with you. Carefully follow the rules listed here or your pet might not make it through. Details of the process for sending your pet to Taiwan are available here.
Taiwan is known as a paradise for cyclists. If you love cycling, you can expect to spend your free time climbing mountain trails, enjoying Taiwan’s beautiful coast, or cycling for transportation. Send your bike to Taiwan.
Feel free to bring your library with you. Taiwan is a liberal democracy and you are welcome to bring whatever you like outside of things promoting communism which are understandably frowned upon in the Republic of China.
International Car Shipping to Taiwan
There is no specific prohibition to importing an automobile or other licensed vehicle to Taiwan. However, a licensed vehicle is not considered a part of your household, and you will not enjoy a tax holiday importing a car that you own. We do not recommend that our clients take their cars to Taiwan. There is no real advantage to doing this over buying a car there and it will require significant headache.
Taiwan Customs and Regulations
Taiwan customs and regulations are few. Things such as pornographic materials, illicit drugs and similar should not be placed in your container. But outside of that, you can send most of what you’d like.
Your household goods and personal effects will not be cleared before your arrival there. The shipment must arrive within six months of the client’s arrival. All shipments to Taiwan are subject to inspection. This does not necessarily mean that your shipment will be inspected, but don’t count on no inspection. You will not need to be present at Customs during clearance of goods. Typically, used household goods and personal effects are duty and tax free. Please note that containers will not be delivered to your door. (If you are a diplomat there is an exemption). All containers will be unloaded at the customs bonded warehouse for inspection. After customs clearance, the household goods will be delivered to your new home. The average time for customs clearance is 3-4 days for ocean shipments. The door delivery will be carried out using
Moving to Taiwan Checklist
Before the SDC International Shipping moving van arrives at your home to pack and load your things for shipment, consider the moving to Taiwan checklist:
- If you are not a citizen of the Republic of China, . Detailed information about immigration to Taiwan can be found here.
- Do you speak Mandarin? It’s time to learn. Do not expect the typical Taiwanese to speak English.
- Will you be downsizing? If so, start thinking about what you will do with what isn’t coming to Taiwan with you. SDC can arrange storage in one of our warehouses. You might want to contact an organization like Goodwill to take things you won’t be saving.
- If you are an American citizen and are planning a long term stay, it is a good idea to renew your American passports before leaving if they will expire before your return to the USA.
- Doctor’s in Taiwan will all speak English. This does not include all staff. If you do not speak Mandarin. The healthcare system is pretty good, and affordable. We recommend that you ask your specialist to create a summary of any existing medical conditions.
- You will need to bring a copy of the full immunization records for each family member. MMR is required for entry. TDAP is recommended by the US CDC, but not required by Taiwan. Most Americans aren’t routinely vaccinated against Japanese encephalitis, so check if this is available in your area.
- If you have any professional credentials, accreditations, or distinction certificates bring them if you might be changing jobs. Diplomas, and degrees should be brought with you if you need to impress clients hanging them on your walls.
- If you are a returning citizen, you should have already registered children born abroad. This and any marriage, death, or divorce should be reported to the Taiwanese embassy.
- Don’t forget to arrange for school records for the entire family. Americans will likely want to register their children in international schools.
International Shipping Options to Taiwan
Not all of our clients send full container load shipments (FCL) to Taiwan. While both 20’ and 40’ containers are available shipping options to Taiwan, many of SDC International Shipping’s clients moving to Taiwan choose to send smaller shipments. We can offer full door to door service for shipments starting at 100 cubic feet.
Door to door service is available from origination locations anywhere in the United States to destinations throughout Taiwan. The time necessary for sending sea shipments door to door to Taiwan are about six weeks from most of America. Your relocation specialist will be able to get you an estimate of the exact length for your particular logistics once we know the pickup date and shipment type.
If you require an urgent delivery or can’t wait for a portion of your cargo, than we can send your shipment via air cargo. Air cargo only takes about a week to be delivered, but needs to be closely coordinated as you are supposed to be physically present in Taiwan when your shipment clears customs.
We can make a single pickup of your things, sending some of them as air cargo, some as a sea shipment, and putting the remainder of your things into storage if you plan on returning to the USA and prefer not to dispose of things not crossing the Pacific with you.