Moving to Chile from the USA
Chile is becoming one of the attractive countries for international students and doing business. With its growing foreign investments in start-ups, many American expatriates are moving to Chile from the US. When moving personal belongings to Chile, you need to look into many factors, such as the volume of your household goods, importing costs, and more.
Our job as a dependable international moving company is to arrange your move and navigate you through every step of the process. While you focus on preparing for a new life in Chile, SDC International Shipping can handle the packing of your home in the United States and shipping it to your final destination.
On this page, we will list all our services and essential information about moving to Chile from the USA.
Moving to Chile with SDC International Shipping
With ten years of experience as an international household mover, you can be sure that we get your personal belongings to your new home safely and on time. We offer different shipping options for household goods based on your budget and needs.
As part of our relocation service, we ship various personal items such as:
- Appliances and more
We also provide additional services to make your move as straightforward to Chile as possible. Advantages of working with SDC International Shipping include:
- Packing services
- Door-to-door delivery
- Pick-up to the port terminal
- Storage solutions
- Customs clearance and documents
- Marine insurance and much more
Considering the Moving Quote from the US to Chile
Sending household items overseas can be pricey. Fortunately, our international shipping services to Chile can be tailored for any shipment size. Whether you are moving a studio apartment or a large house, pick the service that works the best for your budget:
- Consolidated container service where you are charged only for the volume of your goods
- The solo container where you pay for a 20ft or a 40ft container
- Car shipping services, including your personal belongings
Importing Household Goods
If you are moving to Chile under a work visa or temporary residence permit, you must meet certain You can bring in household goods up to $5,000 duty-free. You will have to pay 26% of the CIF value for shipments exceeding that amount. Duty exemption applies to items that arrive in Chile within 120 days of the owner arriving in the country.
Customs require the following documents when shipping personal belongings to Chile:
- Detailed inventory
- Bill of Lading
- Import permit
- Passport copy
You can import only a new vehicle to Chile without exemption from duty. We couldn’t find information about the duty fee. So please get in touch with customs to inquire about duties and taxes.
Paperwork required for your vehicle:
- Bill of Lading or Air Waybill
- Title and registration
- Vehicle Identification
- Purchase invoice
- Cost certificate
- Tax receipt
Additional Resources for Moving to Chile
- Comparing International Moving Quotes to know what the shipping cost includes.
- International moving tips to prepare your household goods.
- Our article about top moving mistakes to avoid.
- Learn about container dimensions to know which is the best for your shipment.
More About How to Move to Chile
For US citizens, a tourist visa for up to 90 days allows you to stay in Chile. You should use that time to work on your other visa types. Several visas will allow you to stay legally in Chile:
- Work Visa
- Temporary Residence Visa
- Temporary visas for retirees
- Investor visa
- Student visa
- Dependent Visa
To bring a pet to Chile, you will need to satisfy the following conditions:
- Rabies vaccination and certificate
- Vet Health Certificate
SDC International Shipping can manage pet transport to Chile. This service is available to clients who move abroad with us. So, talk to our pet travel expert for professional assistance.
Major Cities and Destinations in Chile
- Vina del Mar
- And more
Facts About Chile
- 1/3 of Chile’s population lives in Santiago.
- The Atacama Desert in Chile is the driest place on the planet.
- Chile’s coastline is over 200 km long.
- The oldest mummy in the world is in Chile and not Egypt.
- The country has a penguin population.
- Go to Chile to take an Instagram photo while swimming in the world’s largest pool.
- Chile produces world-class wine.
- Valparaiso is the most exciting city in Chile.
- Chile is home to 5 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- The county has over 2,000 volcanos, of which 90 are active.
How Long Does It Take to Move ?
The ocean transit time typically takes a few weeks. Moving household goods from San Diego, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, and Las Vegas to major destinations in Chile usually takes 4-8 weeks.
Air freight is much shorter – only 5-7 business days, not including customs clearance. However, it’s the most expensive shipping method for consignments over 100 kg.
Start Your Relocation Today
Complete our online quote form and start your move to Chile today!
For additional information about moving to Chile, contact and discuss your moving options with our logistics specialist at (877) 339-0267.