When planning an international trip with your four-legged friend, choosing the right airline is your most important decision. So when flying a dog or cat from the United States to Asia or Europe, you want to ensure they will be as comfortable as possible.
That said, SDC International Shipping will list the best airlines to travel with pets overseas.
The Best European Airline to Travel with Your Furry Friend
We will list the most popular foreign airlines and their regulations on the kind of domestic animals allowed, cabin and cargo transport, and price to determine which European airline is the most pet-friendly.
- Eligible pets are mammals, including snakes, tropical fish, and other animals.
- Your dog or cat can’t travel in a cabin except for medically approved service animals.
- The animal can be transported as cargo with an approved agent to fly with IAC cargo.
- The transport prices may be anything from $200 to $1000.
- Small cats, dogs, and household birds can travel in a cabin as additional carry-on baggage.
- Large animals over 8 kg might be transported in a cargo hold as excess baggage.
- Fighting dogs and snub-nosed animals qualify under certain conditions.
- The travel cost ranges between $60 to $132.
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- This airline transports only cats and dogs.
- You can bring one cat or dog to Economy or Business Class.
- Up to three large dogs can be flown in a cargo hold.
- The price is between 75 Euro to 400 Euro per animal.
- Cats, dogs, and small birds can travel in a cabin. The airline also allows two animals in the kennel for in-cabin transport if their overall weight isn’t more than 8 kg.
- Animals exceeding 8 kg and some parrots and pigeons are transported in the aircraft hold.
- International travel costs vary from $30 to $150.
So which airline is the best to travel to Europe with a pet? British Airways operates transportation of a wide range of animals; none of them can travel in a cabin. In addition, the transportation price is pretty hefty. KLM is expensive, too, but it only works for dog or cat owners. The best airline to travel with pets in terms of price is Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines.
Our final verdict: The best European airlines for animal transportation are Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines.
Flying to Asia with Your Four-Legged Friend: Which Airline is the Best?
As we compare airlines based in the region, let’s see which Asian airline company stands above others.
Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines
- Accept only mammals and birds, except for eagles, hawks, and owls (prey birds).
- Don’t permit the transport of dogs, cats, and other live animals in a cabin.
- Your pet will be transported as cargo.
- The transportation cost from the US to Japan fluctuates between $400-$500 per pet.
- You can fly with your cat or dog.
- They are welcome in a cabin if their weight with a container isn’t over 32 kg.
- Large animals travel in cargo.
- Your feline or canine friend is considered additional baggage, and the fee will be applied for each additional piece of baggage. For example, an additional piece for Economy Class (up to 23 kg) for US/Canada routes is $150.
China Southern Airlines
- Only cats and dogs qualify.
- No animals can be brought to the cabin. They should be transported in a baggage hold.
- Fighting dog breeds and short-nosed dogs or cats are prohibited from luggage transportation.
- The charging fee for small animals is $200-$300, and $500 for animals weighing 32 kg and over.
- Pets permitted on board are dogs, cats, and birds of at least two months old.
- Your furry friend should be at least 4 months old for checked luggage.
- No rabbits, ferrets, turtles, hamsters, chicks, snakes, or pigs are allowed on the aircraft.
- The same rule applies to aggressive animals, including snub-nosed dogs or cats.
- A travel charge is either $300 or $600, depending on the total weight of your pet, including the cage.
If you are looking for the best pet-friendly airline in a cabin, you should consider Singapore Airlines and Korean Air. Singapore Airlines seems to be the most democratic in this sense. It even accepts dogs of up to 32 kg in a cabin.
The Best Domestic Airline to Travel with Pets to Europe or Asia
As you see, there are plenty of airlines in Asia and Europe that you can use when planning an international move with your pet. But you should also consider the best domestic options, such as American Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, and Frontier Airlines.
- Only dogs, cats, and household birds can travel as a carry-on.
- Other animals can travel as manifest cargo.
- The cost of travel starts at $225.
- You can fly with your dog or cat to Hawaii from the USA in a cabin.
- A check-in baggage option is also available for the animal over 70 lbs. (32 kg)
- The fee is $225.
- Allows only dogs and cats in a cabin for international flights to Mexico and the Dominican Republic.
- International flights to other countries with domesticated animals are carried out in a cargo hold.
- You can fly internationally for $99.
Frontier Airlines beats American Airlines with its affordable price.
What to Know Before Flying Your Cat or Dog Overseas
- Always check your destination country’s requirements regardless of the airline you plan to use.
- Even cabin-friendly airlines will not allow domestic animals in a cabin if your destination country restricts that. For example, most EU countries don’t allow pets to travel in a cabin from the USA.
- Typically, one animal is allowed per kennel, but two of the same breed and size might also be allowed.
- Regulations may have different applications for connecting flights.
- Certain crafts within one airline don’t accept pets on board or cargo hold. For example, the Boeing 737 of Singapore Airlines and Flight SQ21 and SQ23 from New York to Singapore have these operational constraints.
- A Health Certificate issued within 10 days of travel is usually required for dogs or cats traveling in a cabin.
- The minimum age of eligible pets should be at least 8 weeks.
- If you are moving to the UK with a dog, you will need a photo to prove the correct cage size.