International Moving Quotes
Do you want to receive an international moving quote directly from a real international mover?
If you have already started searching the internet for information about moving abroad from the United States, you have probably already come across many sites trying to garner your personal information just so that they can sell it several times. Instead of getting quotes, you get pestered by call center grunts who understand little about relocating. In the best-case scenario, they will try to get an idea about your shipment size to rank how attractive of a lead you are.
SDC International Shipping works differently. We also would prefer to receive your full moving inventory and will ask you to give it to us. It will help us to get you a more accurate quote. However, we are not a lead gathering service, we are a full-service freight forwarder, licensed by the Federal Maritime Commission to export residential and commercial cargo from the United States. When we take your information, it is not to sell it to call centers, but to provide you with an accurate, comprehensive quote.
What is Included in Your International Moving Quote
Your relocation specialist will ask you many, many questions. We aren’t nosy, we can’t make an inclusive estimate without knowing as much about your shipment as possible. In order for your quote to be accurate we will need to know about:
- Especially valuable items or oddly shaped items that might require crating (do NOT crate anything yourself, as it is necessary to use wood approved for international sea shipping.)
- Extremely large or heavy items that require an extra set of hands or special equipment, — we have all of the equipment necessary for any move, but we need to know to send it to the pickup and delivery locations.
- Difficult access – we need to get moving vans adjacent to both the delivery and origination points of your move. There are certain locations where we are unable to stand a truck for several hours or the road is too narrow for our trucks to approach the residence. Sometimes it is necessary to send an additional van, at other times we need to send an additional mover. It is critical that we know about the particular details of the location to give you a true estimate. We also need to know about flights of stairs or elevators at both locations.
- Vehicles included in the shipment – it is possible to send a car or a motorcycle in a shipping container as a part of your household goods. We will need to know about this ahead of time, both to prepare the vehicle according to international shipping standards and to secure it within the shipping container. Considerable administrative preparation is also necessary before sending a licensed vehicle.
- Storage – there are many circumstances where our clients choose to store all or a part of their belongings in one of our warehouses. We offer the first month of storage complimentary to our overseas relocation clients. We can accommodate both short and long term storage for you.
When we know about this type of thing, we will be able to account for them and include them in your international moving quote. If our movers arrive and we need to wait for additional equipment, or movers, there will be more costs.
Your SDC international moving quote will include the following costs:
- Picking up your belongings
- Sea, or air, transport of your cargo
- Preparing your furniture, including disassembling where necessary, wrapping and padding
- Packing service, if you choose it, will include boxes and other moving materials
- Loading your belongings onto moving vans or shipping containers
- Palletization when necessary
- Trucking, including the port costs for the container, mileage, line haul charges, and tolls.
- Terminal Handling Charge, or THC, at the point of origin.
- Any known taxes and surcharges.
- For clients using our groupage consolidations sent to Europe and Asia, the cost of deconsolidation is also included.
- Anything on the above list if we know about before the pickup
- When you send a vehicle, the estimate will include the cost of title clearance and administrative fees
We highly recommended using our delivery service for all residential relocation clients. There are too many things that will go wrong if you are not using professional importers. Commercial clients often have partners in their destination countries or a permanent presence there accustomed to the complicated customs clearance process. This is not the case with residential relocations.
When you order door delivery, the quote will also include in addition:
- Customs clearance
- Reassembling any furniture that was disassembled when picked up.
- Placing all furniture and boxes in rooms
- Removing debris from the moving process like wrapping and boxes that have been emptied while our movers are still there
- Terminal Handling Charge at the point of entry
What isn’t Included in Your International Moving Quote
As we said, SDC International Shipping tries to include all foreseeable costs. There are many costs that are liable to occur in any shipment. We don’t know about most of them until after the shipment has either been picked up or arrives at the destination port.
Some of them are:
Excess overflow – your quote will be for the inventory that you supply us with. It is calculated in terms of cubic feet, or the volume, of your cargo. Our estimates take into account “lost space” in containers or pallets when your cargo is loaded for shipment. If you decide to send more than the allotted amount, you will be charged for the extra amount. In most cases, there is no problem deciding to add a few items to your shipment at the last minute, but your final cost is determined by the amount that you actually send. We will try to let you know the cost overflow in the original estimate.
Container inspections – x-ray inspections are now standard at most ports for most incoming containers. Physical inspections are still done on about 5% of containers. At times, these inspections are completely random, others can be triggered by events such as any violation whatsoever of the country’s import laws, containers packed by the owner, a vague or poorly prepared shipping inventory, a container not sent to the owner of it, etc.
Handyman services – we presume that all things that need moving are ready to be loaded when our movers arrive. While our loading services do include standard disassembly, they do not include detaching fixtures from walls or ceilings or reattaching them at the destination. If any of these services are necessary, please let us know right away. Sometimes our experienced crews will be able to perform these tasks. At other times we will need to call in electricians or other professionals.
Compare International Moving Quote
SDC International Shipping makes an effort to create an international moving quote for you that will include all known charges. The more we know about your move, the more accurate your quote will be. There is a good chance that you will receive many international moving quotes that might appear to be cheaper than your SDC quote, that’s because they leave out crucial information and line items that SDC includes, sometimes intentionally.
We welcome you to send us any international moving quote that you receive. We will be happy to explain what we have included and they haven’t. Give us a try. If you have received a quote for international relocation from the United States, send it to us!