Do Not Pack Items
Here are a few things you should definitely NOT pack when moving to ensure your safety and a few tips to make your move easier!
- Do not pack dangerous items: Flammable, corrosive or explosive items include acid, aerosol, ammunition, batteries, bleach, car oil, charcoal, cleaning fluids, fertilizer, fireworks, gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil, loaded weapons, matches, poisons, propane tanks, weed killer, ammunition, lighter fluid etc.
- Do not pack things that will die – perishable items: plants, foods, and animals.
- Carry your irreplaceable items/documents such as financial statements, cash, jewelry, check books, bonds, stocks, software, medicine and etc.
- Personal items with sentimental value: video tapes, photos and albums, letters / collections
- Cleaning supplies – You will need to clean up your old home and do some cleaning when you get to the new one.
- Some tools – A utility knife, hammer, and screwdriver. A knife to open your boxes, a hammer and screwdriver (phillips and slotted) for quick fixes, picture hanging or any number of other uses.
A few other things to keep with you:
- toilet paper
- bottled water or other beverages
- clothes for the next few days
- toothpaste, toothbrush, soap
- a first aid kit
- food and water or anything you might need for your animals